Sunday, February 03, 2013

The January Round-Up!

It's time for the monthly round-up again!

I have some nice plans in the works. Firstly, I've been working on my Cinderalla novel. Yes, again. I've kind of lost my fiction writing mojo but I just have to keep at it. It's such a good idea, and the first chapters are just so phenomenal I've been unable to abandon it. So here's to trying again!

Later this month, I'll also be posting my first joint review!

Anyhoo, here's what I read last month:

*January Winner!* Gone Girl, by Gillian Flynn. Thriller, Contemporary. A
Pros: Phenomenal writing, excellent pay off. Cons: Sluggish pacing in the middle, creeeeepy creepy storyline.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, by J.K. Rowling. Middle Grade, Fantasy, ReRead. A
Pros: Intriguing themes, good characterization, all-round enjoyable story. Cons: Dobby.

The Bridal Season, by Connie Brockway. Romance, Historical. B
Pros: Fluffy and charming - plus a lovely Beta hero. Cons: Unrealistic, a bit shallow.

Speechless, by Hannah Harrington. YA, Contemporary. B-
Pros: Excellent character development, original concept, great themes. Cons: Childish writing style, weak ending.

Warm Bodies, by Isaac Marion. Horror, Contemporary. C
Pros: Lovely writing, interesting themes. Cons: Poorly developed setting and world building, pretentious message.

A Matter of Class, by Mary Balogh. Romance, Historical. D
Pros: Lovely writing. Cons: Completely blank characters, no conflict, DUMB AS HELL plot twist.

*January Dud* Sanctum, by Sarah Fine. YA, Paranormal. D
Pros: Fantastic POC heroine. Cons: Goopy romance, inconsistent and undeveloped worldbuilding, very troubling social commentary on the nature of suicide.

No comments:

Post a Comment