Heliotrope got back to me in less than a week to reject "Golden Opportunity" - that's either a very good or a very bad sign. There are still magazines out there - I'm thinking of trying Baen's Universe next because they have a special section for new writers and a forum that gives lots of feedback. So my writing checklist is as follows:
1. Submit "Golden Opportunity" to Baen's Universe
2. Prepare "House Hunting" for submission.
3. Rewrite "An Unmagical Age."
4. Rewrite "Joyful Noise."
5. Continue writing the first draft of "The Middle Child."
6. Keep plugging away at Reading 'The Willow King'.