Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Final Countdown

This is it, chickas. My taxi arrives at 10:30 pm tonight to take me to the airport in time for my red-eye 1:15 am flight to Orlando, to participate in the 2010 RWA National Conference!

But before I flight off to indulge my unhealthy obsessions with All Things Disney and Free Books, I thought I'd go back and consider the promise I made myself last year: My Nashville Resolution (back before the floods required RWA 2010 to relocate). Did I achieve what I set out to do? How is this conference experience going to be different from my first one? Let's see:

1. During the Year Leading to Nashville, I will either have made my First Sale (so that I get the pretty ribbon!) or have a Finished Manuscript. Did I do it? YES!
Okay, okay, not my First Sale. But I do have a Finished Manuscript AND a pitch. And I will be hawking both hardcore at RWA2010. For one thing, people last year were always asking what my novel was about, and I always dithered because a) I wasn't finished and b) even before I was finished I still felt I had too much story to describe at once. But now that I have my pitch, describing my book will be a snap, and great practice for my Agent Appointment!

2. During the Year Leading to Nashville, I will not buy a Motherlovin' amount of books and will Save My Money. Yes and No
Not buy a lot of books this year? Ha. Hahaha. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Get real. I haven't even finished the freebies I got last year before buying new books. It's an illness, I tell you. But as for the saving money part - yeah, I kinda did do that. I had a good job and still lived with my parents so I have a bit saved away.

3. During the Year Leading to Nashville, I will participate in my RWA Special Interest Chapters, Network with other Authors/Bloggers, and Join a Critique Group. OH HELL TO THE YES
Last year, I hadn't really participated in my two RWA Chapters (RWA Online and FF&P), mainly because I hadn't finished my manuscript and felt I didn't have much to contribute. But once I finished, actually finished my first draft and joined a critique group, I started chatting a lot more and paying a lot more attention, as well as realizing that the Online Chapter really isn't my style, so I'll know not to review next year.

4. During the Year Leading to Nashville, I will budget for Shipping Costs. Sorta.
If by budget you mean, saved my Granny money and GST rebate cheque.

5. During the Year Leading to Nashville, I will Apply for the University of Alberta School for Library and Information Sciences. No.
*sigh* I chickened out - well, chickened out and got impatient. I landed a receptionist job I really enjoyed, and a part of me was eager to settle and be a Grown Up with a Real Job instead of the perpetual student, so I let me reference letters and preparations fall by the wayside. Six months later, I lost that job, and the receptionist industry is good, but not my passion, and now I'm kind of kicking myself for not going ahead with the library studies thing. It's a profession, and one I think I'd really enjoy. This year, the deadline for applying is February, so I'm going to be trying again - unless I get an absolutely spectacular job that I really like, and even then... Well, we'll see how it goes.

So hey, all things considered, I think I did pretty well by my Nashville Resolution. Anyhoo, while I won't be blogging while at RWA 2010, I am bringing my iTouch so I will be Tweeting - click the little blue origami bird at the top of the blog for my feed to see how it's going.

See y'all in a week!

4 comments:

  1. Good luck at RWA and have fun! I can't wait for you to be published I'll be first in line to buy a copy of your book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited you'll be pitching at RWA this year - and naturally I can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you are prepared for success! Good luck and keep us posted about the conference!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have fun at RWA. I hope your agent appointment goes well.

    ReplyDelete