Sunday, April 01, 2012

The Weekly Wanting


Hey, folks! As part of my new focus on my blog, I'm starting a new regular event called the Weekly Wanting. Basically, every Sunday (or Monday, if I post a book review on Sunday), I'll highlight a couple of books I've discovered through other blogs or websites or bookstore/library browsing that caught my eye, either for their covers, their stories, or just because another book blog gave them SUCH a fabulous review!

For the inaugural post, we have:

The Miseducation of Cameron Post, by Emily M. Danforth.

Genre: YA

Why I Want It: The story!

I'd seen interesting reviews of it around the blogosphere, but I was especially drawn to it thanks to an excellent review by The Booksmugglers.

I've been getting more and more interested in YA stories with an LGBTQ bent, and this one (about a girl who discovers she's a lesbian in the late 80s and early 90s, and is sent to a repressive "conversion" school as a result) sounded really intriguing.


The List, by Siobhan Vivian.

Genre: YA.

Why I Want It: Strong feminist storyline - plus a great review!

I found this book thanks to the gals at Forever Young Adult. You really need to read the hilarious review for yourselves, but I was especially caught by how Poshdeluxe (the particular reviewer) said that this novel should basically be mandatory reading for all high school students, boys and girls alike.

Essentially, it's the story of how every year in this one high school, someone posts a list of the one hottest and one ugliest girl in every class, and how the eight girls who wind up on that list react to the news, in wildly different ways.

It sounded so good, that I actually went out and got Vivian's previous book, Not That Kind of Girl, from the library. I'll be reading it after Dark Lover.

Beguiling the Beauty, by Sherry Thomas.

Genre: Romance.

Why I Want It: It's Sherry Thomas, bitch!

No really. It's written by Sherry Thomas, which means lots of realistic angst, great female characters, and gorgeous gorgeous writing! By this point, she's pretty much an autobuy.

From what I can gather of the story, a wealthy Duke begins an affair with a gorgeous baroness while on an ocean liner - only she's so not who she says she is. And the secret's bound to get out. And they're both trapped on a boat. In the middle of the ocean. Sold!




Where It Began, by Ann Redisch Stampler

Genre: YA

Why I Want It: Excellent writing and great character voice.

Again, I found out about this book thanks to Forever Young Adult. Initially, the book's premise turned me off: a girl who winds up in a car accident with no memory of how it happened and subsequently makes a whole lot of bad decisions trying to win back a boy who doesn't really care about her? Yeah, I didn't enjoy that so much when I read it the first time with Forget You by Cee-Lo Green Jennifer Echols.

And yet, the review also included an excerpt, and the heroine's voice sounded so funny and self-deprecating, even though she's falling to pieces, that it called to mind the other Jennifer Echols book that I totally unequivocally loved.Link
What books are you guys excited about?

2 comments:

  1. Love your new look!
    I'm anxiously awaiting the new Sherry Thomas and the new Julie James--both auto-buys for me. Oh yeah, and later this summer, there's a new Loretta Chase and the rest of the Sherry Thomas books.(OMG! 3 Sherry Thomas books in one year--I've died and gone to book-lover heaven!!). I know there are other books on the romance front, as well as paranormal, sf/f,etc fronts--but I would have to look them up.

    Just finished Meredith Duran's newest--Happy sigh! It was wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bafriva - Thank you! I love love love Sherry Thomas. I've tried to get into Meredith Duran's books. They're well written, but she's never managed to sweep me away like Sherry Thomas.

    ReplyDelete